Everything You Should Know about Revatio Before Using It
Revatio (Sildenafil) relaxes muscles in the walls of blood vessels, and increases the flow of blood to certain areas of the body. Revatio is used to treat pulmonary arterial hypertension and improve physical performance in men and women.
Sildenafil is an effective and selective inhibitor of specific phosphodiesterase type 5 (PDE5) cyclic guanosine monophosphate (cGMP), an enzyme responsible for cleavage of cGMP. In addition to the presence of an enzyme in the cavernous body of the penis, PDE 5 is also found in the pulmonary vascular system.
Thus, sildenafil increases the level of cGMP inside the cells of the smooth muscles of the pulmonary vessels, as a result of which the tone of the latter decreases. In patients with pulmonary arterial hypertension, this phenomenon can cause vasodilation of the pulmonary vascular bed and, to a lesser extent, vasodilatation of the systemic circulation. Revatio is taken orally. The recommended dose of Revatio is 20 mg 3 times a day with an interval of about 6-8 hours, regardless of food intake. The maximum recommended dose is 60 mg. Elderly patients: dose adjustment is not required.
Who is Contraindicated to Revatio Use?
You should not use Revatio if:
- You are allergic to sildenafil;
- You are taking other medicines to treat pulmonary arterial hypertension;
- You are using a nitrate drug for chest pain or heart problems. This includes nitroglycerin, isosorbide dinitrate and isosorbide mononitrate. Nitrates are also found in some recreational drugs. Taking Revatio with the help of nitrate medicine can cause a sudden and severe drop in blood pressure.
To ensure that Revatio is safe for you, tell your doctor about your other medical conditions, especially:
- Diseases of the heart or heart rhythm, coronary artery disease;
- A recent history (over the past 6 months) of a heart attack, stroke, or congestive heart failure;
- High or low blood pressure;
- Diseases of the liver or kidney;
- A disorder of blood cells, such as sickle cell anemia, multiple myeloma or leukemia;
- Bleeding disorder, such as hemophilia;
- Stomach ulcer;
- Pigmented retinitis (inherited eye condition);
- Physical deformity of the penis (e.g. Peyronie’s disease).
- If you were told that you should not have sexual intercourse for health reasons.
It is expected that Revatio will not harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. It is not known whether sildenafil passes into breast milk or can harm a breastfeeding baby. Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby. Those who aren’t 18 can’t use the drug without the medical advice.
What are the Possible Revatio Side Effects?
Revatio can reduce the flow of blood to the optic nerve of the eye, leading to sudden loss of vision. This occurred in a small number of people taking sildenafil, most of whom also had heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, or some previously existing problems with the eyes, as well as those who smoked or were older than 50 years. It is unclear whether sildenafil is the actual cause of vision loss.
Stop taking Revatio and get emergency medical help if you have:
- Symptoms of a heart attack are chest pain or pressure, pain that spreads to your jaw or shoulder, nausea, sweating;
- Changes in vision or sudden loss of vision;
- The erection is painful or lasts longer than 4 hours (prolonged erections can damage the penis).
Call your doctor right away if you have:
- Ringing in the ears or sudden loss of hearing;
- swelling in your hands, ankles, or feet;
- inconsistent breathing;
- seizure (convulsions).
Common side effects of Revatio may include:
- Rinsing (warmth, redness or sensation of shadows);
- Headache, dizziness;
- Abnormal vision (blurred vision, changes in color vision)
- stuffy nose;
- Pain in the muscles, back pain; or stomach upset.
Drinking alcohol with this medicine can cause side effects. Grapefruit and grapefruit juice can interact with sildenafil and lead to undesirable side effects. Avoid using grapefruit products while taking Revatio. Avoid using any other medication to treat impotence without getting a consultation of your doctor.
Can You Get Revatio with No Prescription?
The answer is definitely “Yes”. It is possible to get Revatio without prescription online. It is considered enough safe if taken according to the instructions. It is possible to get a prescription in one of online pharmacies. However, it is recommended to check out the list of contraindications before you start taking the drug. Make sure you have been careful reading about health conditions, which can prevent from using the drug and inform your doctor about any drugs you have recently taken or have now in order to avoid any possible side effects Revatio can cause.