Kaji Enamul Islam |
Since the last decade, human resource management has evolved drastically. This change is similar to any other part of the ERP system as they are moving toward digitalization. Therefore, open-source HRIS (Human Resource Information System) or HCM software makes the job way easier and streamlined.
But choosing a product that suits your business and budget at the same time isn’t easy. At first, you need to sort out the best HRIS tools in the market. Then you must look closely at their features, advantages, drawbacks, or pricing, etc.
But you don’t need to get worried about that. Since you are here already, we will show you some of the top open-source HRIS software in the market right now. After that, surely you’ll be able to make a fitting decision for your company.
Why Choose an Open-Source HRIS for Your Business
In modern-day business, the term “managing employees” means a lot. It’s all about connecting their day to day tasks, productivity, solidarity towards company goals, and beyond.
This sounds a bit complex. But since the business manager all over the world using ERP systems to manage all these tasks from one central database, the process becomes simpler. An ERP comprises of managing human resources, client resources, project management, and even accounting and finances.
There are many ways you can implement ERP software in your business. For example, you can build one by hiring developers, or go for a cloud-based ERP solution. And then there are open-source ERP.
However, you may already understand and know that HRIS is now a part of a total ERP system. Therefore you can singularly go for an ERP HR tool for your business or company.
As we are talking about open-source HRIS, it is broader with prospects and brings more value to SMEs and large enterprises alike.
Benefits of Using an Open-Source HRIS Software
Before we go on any further, just take a look into some of the advantages of open-source HRIS. It will help you to make up your mind for it.
- Good for small businesses and big enterprises alike.
- Installation is super easy.
- You can turn your business website into an HRM system or complete ERP.
- It requires a lower budget than on-demand or on-premise HRM.
- The maintenance is simple and faster.
- You will get quality customer support all the time.
- Don’t require to hire any developer team, etc.
Well, because of the ease of use and openness, the market for overall open-source ERP is expanding more than ever.
The ERP market is expanding rapidly, the total market size is expected to grow more than $49.5 billion by 2024.MarketreSearchEngine
Open-Source HRIS for SMBs – Which One to Choose
In this comparison, we have sorted out 7 renowned and popular open-source HR software. Below, we are going to compare their features, advantages, and drawbacks so that you can make your choice at ease.
1. Bamboo HR
Bamboo HR has begun its journey back in 2008. Because of its simplicity, specialty in SMBs, and top-notch HR features, this tool has become so popular in no time. Either you have a big or small human resource team, or you want to manage your HR process single-handedly, Bamboo HR offers a specific and targeted plan.
Hence, Bamboo HR is one of the significant employee on-boarding HRIS right now. It is a viable solution to build a strong human resource culture in your business.
- Smart Hiring Process with super fast Applicant Tracking System (ATS)
- Building an employee database with an intuitive dashboard.
- Easy employee management
- Employees self-service with employee dashboard
- Manage leave, accept easy leave application, plan holidays
- Compensation manager
- Limited reporting functionalities.
- The mobile app requires more features and ease.
- Customization is limited.
- Customer service needs improvements.
You can start using the tool for free. And if the basic version works for you then you can call for their premium plan. Right now they have two different packages – Essentials and Advantage. Therefore, you can also add different addons to improve your HRIS.
2. Baraza HCM
Baraza or openBaraza is a complete open-source business management framework. It is based on Nairobi and provides worldwide HR support. So, if you need reliable HCM software, you can just start using Baraza HCM which is good for SMEs and any type of mid-sized organization.
Moreover, it helps to build a core staff-info database, and let you manage and control this information. Baraza HR software specializes in hiring employees, leave management, payroll processing, and many more functionalities.
- Smart hiring process and recruitment management
- Applicant tracking system
- Assign and define a role to create organizational hierarchy and structure
- Employee self-services
- Evaluating employee performance
- Easy Payroll management
- Time and attendance management
- Manage and control employee leaves and holidays
- Lacks employee on-boarding system
- Don’t have a 360-degree feedback option
- The outlook and design is a bit backdated
You can get on with a available free trial. However, premium pricing starts at $20/month.
If you need an HRIS software which is simple and designed for small businesses or for individual HR managers, CangarooHR can be a great tool for you.
You can manage crucial HR functionality like employee timing, providing staff training, and total employee administration in a smart way. The best thing about CangarooHR is its group insurance and career management function. These features let you create a strong HR culture in your business.
- Group Insurance Management at ease
- Time management for employees and owners alike
- Performance evaluation management and smart reporting system
- Set career and company goals and share streamlined them for employees
- Provide training to your employees with easy training and skills module
- You don’t need to think about technical maintenance
- A simple employee onboarding process
- Need more modules to enhance HR functionalities
- Main focus dedicated to employee career benefits rather than employee management
- High pricing plan
To manage a team of up to 20 employees, you need to spend $60 a month. For more numbers, you must pay more.
4. WP ERP
WordPress is the most trusted CMS platform today. It’s a household name for the global open-source user. Hence, when you have a WordPress site, you can consider WP ERP HRM as a full-fledged open-source HRIS.
As a complete ERP system for SMEs and large organizations alike, WP ERP has four basic modules. They are- CRM, HRM, Accounting, and Project Manager. However, you can choose the HR module to turn your business with a robust HCM.
- Complete HR Managemen System
- Manage Employee Information
- Monitor the life-cycle of the employees
- Employee evaluation made-easy
- Send or Add private Notes
- Smart Leave Management system
- Scheduling and Announcement Management
- Rich Email Templates
- Highly effective HR reports and Analytics
- Powerful HRIS Extension
- Only WordPress-based
- No app-integration
As an open-source HRIS, WP ERP HR software is free. You can start using it by downloading it from the WP repository. The premium plans are available from $10 a month. For different HR extension, you need to pay specific amounts.
Are you searching for a open source software that can simply help your HR process with leave management and workflow? Jorani will suffice to this extent. It’s super easy to use, and you can create an employee database with their leave, holiday activities, and visual reporting system.
When you have a small company, Jorani let you accept leave request, process them, and keep follow-up. So, you can add every employee to Jorani and it will work as your powerful leave manager.
- Intuitive leave calendar to monitor who’s in and who’s are out
- Simple Workflows of approval
- It describes your company
- Smart and easy reporting system
- Installation is easy
- Settings and navigation is highly accessible
- Define user role and send notification emails
- Manage contract and annual vacation period
- Lesser than a full-fledged HCM
- Insufficient scope for larger organizations
Jorani comes for free. The providers claimed that it has no hidden cost.
IceHRM is one of the coolest free HR tools in the market right now. It specializes in leave management, recruitment handling, and payroll management. Therefore, as a complete open-source HRMIS software, it emphasizes smart employee management. It allows businesses to accumulate necessary employee data. Hence define access permissions to the authorized persons that ensure the security of the database.
- Automated leave management system
- Smart time tracking to ensure more productivities
- Payroll processing and employee expense management
- Custom forms to collect various employee information
- Powerful recruitment module to find, track, hire and evaluate employees
- Provide necessary training with the staff training module
- 360-degree feedback and performance review
- The free version lacks some core features like employee data history, leave notes, performance reviews, and audit trails
- The API documentation is not sufficient
- Don’t have any mobile app
The free version is well-enough to manage the day to day HRIS tasks. But to get more sharpness to your process, a premium plan is necessary which starts from $9 a month.
7. Staff Squared
Staff Squared born out of the necessity of its creators. Once they were a law firm back in 2007. Then they initiated a software company named Atlas. Since they were growing so fast, the HR process management became so hard for the people behind it. That situation led them to build their own HRIS software which gradually builds the shape of Staff Squared today.
It’s an open-source HRIS, so anyone can use it and customize it following their types of human resource activities. It offers most of the major and minor HR features you can ask for. However, Staff Squared is designed mainly for small and medium enterprises. One further plus side is this tool often releases new updates and features compared to other HCM software.
- Self-service time-off and holiday management
- Online absence calendar
- Build a centralized staff information database
- Human resource document manager
- Easy time tracking to amplify productivity
- Staff on-boarding for newest recruits
- Employee satisfaction monitoring
- The reporting feature needs improvement
- Integrations are not so dynamic
- The app doesn’t offer timesheet functionality
The basic plan is free for the first 14 days. Pro-pricing starts from $3+ for every employee. You can pay for monthly or yearly packages. The pricing can be an issue though it is designed for SMEs.
Comparison of Open Source HRIS – A Simple Overview
Now that you come through all of the details, let’s take a look at the chart below. This overview surely will help you to understand the best HR software comparison at ease.
|Features||Bamboo HR||Baraza HCM||CangarooHR||WP ERP HRM||Jorani||IceHRM||Staff Squared|
|Smart Leave Management||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Performance Evaluation Monitoring||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes|
|Central HR Database||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||Yes||Yes|
|HR Document Manager||No||Yes||No||Yes||No||No||Yes|
|Reporting & Analysis||Yes||No||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|User Role and Access Management||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Pro-Pricing (Beside the Free Version)||$615/100 employee per month||$240/year||$720/year for less than 200 employee||$584/year||–||$72/year for 10 employees||$420/year for 10 employees|
Time to Make a Choice for the Right HR Software
In a highly competitive market, you are lucky to be getting so many options to find a better HR solution. But more you dig deep, the more you will be confused. To get out all of these complexities, you must get the knack to understand what makes an HRIS software great. Therefore, you must analyze and compare all the options to get what you need.
We believe this easy open-source HRIS comparison guide will help you enough to solve these issues. However, if you still have any questions regarding any of these HR tools and their features, put them in the comments section.
So tell us what do you think. Which HR system looks more convenient to shape up your business? Let us know in the comments below. And meanwhile, you can:
Use WP ERP to Streamlined Your HRIS